World Cup Fever!


The excitement of the world cup had definitely spread to Paris, while I was touring the city this weekend along with my entire group. There were people flocking the streets, and cheering for their respective nations as they battled each other on the soccer field. One of my most memorable moments in Paris included taking the metro train and walk to the Eiffel tower to actually watch a viewing of a match between England and the United States on a huge television screen outside. While we were on the Metro we ran into a group of people from Oklahoma Christian who were really excited to meet us once they heard that we spoke English and were from Texas and so the rest of the train ride was spent comparing universities and back-and-forth inquiries of common people that we knew. Once we got to the Eiffel Tower, we saw that there were so many people camped out on the lawns watching the game and cheering for either England or the USA. The game itself was very interesting to watch and really all we could really do was watch since the broadcast was televised in French and given the very minuscule amount of French that I knew, I was not able to understand anything that the commentators were saying about the game. But from what I saw both teams were extremely aggressive but both teams did have their faults but it was not enough to make it a terrible game to watch. I will definitely say that our goalie was amazing in his ability to block all the shots that England attempted to make. The game ended as a 1-1 tie game so only time will tell to see who will advance further at another chance to make it to the next round. But the fact that I got to see a world cup match at the Eiffel Tower was an experience that I will never forget and I enjoyed every moment of it! :-)


--Christiana Kotyk (6/15/10)

0 Responses on "World Cup Fever!"

Post a Comment